Want to chat with me? Join me at https://members.docsnipes.com/ For $10/month you get access to my daily tips for health and wellness and you can text chat with me privately.
Video by Dr. Dawn Elise Snipes on integrative behavioral health approaches including counseling techniques and skills for improving mental health and reducing mental illness.
– Review the function of Acetylcholine
– Identify mood and behavioral disorders associated with acetylcholine imbalance
– Explore interaction between acetylcholine and other neurotransmitters and hormones
Function of Acetylcholine
– Stimulating skeletal muscles, smooth muscles dilation of blood vessels, slowed heart rate, increased body secretions
– Memory and Learning
– Promoting REM sleep
– The central nervous system undergoes several dynamic changes during sleep, which are mediated by norepinephrine, serotonin, and acetylcholine.
– Sleep contributes to memory and brain plasticity and triggers overnight learning
– Immunity: During infection this immune-derived ACh is necessary for the T cells to migrate into infected tissues
Implication in Mood and Behavioral Disorders
– Alzheimer’s patients have low acetylcholine levels
– Delirium: Caused by acetylcholine deficiency and dopamine excess, relative to each other
– Anxiety: In excess compared to other NTs, acetylcholine increases anxiety
– nAChR agonists
– Can improve mood and cognitive performance in depressed individuals
– regulate mood, anxiety, and aggression related behavioral states
– Increases hypervigilance
– Increases fear learning
– Increases anxiety
– Increases CB1 receptors promoting eating
– Contributes to rumination and reduced psychological flexibility
– Can cause delirium, confusion, headache, or drowsiness
– Increased body temperature and flushing
– Increased blood pressure
– Increases the release of gastric acid
Acetylcholine and Mood
– Unipolar Depression
– AChEI: Worsened depression (induced in controls)
– mAChR agonist: Worsened depression (induced in controls w/ cannabis and with Alzheimer’s)
– Antimuscarinic: Antidepressant
– nAChR agonist: Antidepressant in non-smokers
– Bipolar depression
– AChEi: Worsened depression
– AChR agonist: Worsened depression
– Antimuscarinic: Antidepressant
– Bipolar mania
– AChEI: Reduced mania
– AChR agonist: Reduced mania
– Acetylcholine is not often talked about but is a necessary excitatory neurotransmitter
– Acetylcholine interacts with gonadal hormones, thyroid hormones and several neurotransmitters
– Acetylcholine is important for energy, memory, attention, regulation of muscle contraction and much more.
– Choline is necessary to make acetylcholine
– Tyrosine is necessary to make acetylcholine
– Too much acetylcholine contributes to anxiety and irritability, too little contributes to anhedonia
Please SUBSCRIBE and click the BELL to be notified when we release new videos and when Dr. Dawn Elise Snipes is going live each month.
Cheap CEUs are available at https://www.allceus.com/live-interactive-webinars/
AllCEUs provides multimedia counselor education and CEUs for LPCs, LMHCs, LMFTs and LCSWs as well as addiction counselor precertification training and continuing education.
Live, Interactive Webinars ($5)
Unlimited Counseling CEs for $59
Specialty Certificates starting at $89 including Addiction Counselor, RecoveryCoach, Pee rSupport Specialist, Trauma Informed Care, BHT, Etherapy
AllCEUs courses for counselor continuing education are accepted in most states because we are an approved education provider for NAADAC, the States of Florida and Texas Boards of Social Work and Mental Health/Professional Counseling, the California Consortium for Addiction Professionals and Professions, the Australian Counselling Association CRCC, Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association and more.
Dr Dawn Elise Snipes provides training through AllCEUs.com that are helpful for ACA OPD, Counsellor OPD, OPD Points, LPC CEUs LMHC CEUs LCPC CEUs LSW CEUs LCSW CEUs LMFT CEUs CRC CEUs LADC CEUs CADC CEUs MAC CEUs MCAP CEUs NCC CEUS LCDC CEUs CPRS CEUs CTRS CEUs and HPCSA ACA NBCC counsellors needing counselling continuing education counseling continuing education ceus for social workers social work ceus addiction counselor training counseling ceus continuing education training, NCMHCE, addiction treatment, addiction recover,y mental health, anxiety relief, depression, motivation, mental health awareness, addiction awareness and integrated behavioral health approaches to treatment CEbroker CE broker @cebroker lpc ceus lmhc ceus lcsw ceus mental health mental illness, better help, talk space, seven cups, 7 cups, online counseling, self help