• Become familiar with some definitions of counselor identity from the counseling literature.
• Get acquainted with common themes related to counselor identity, such as professional competence, professional community, and professional self.
• Learn about Martin Heidegger's philosophical anthropology of the human person and how it can expand our understanding of counselors' professional identity.
• Be introduced to the idea of professional competence as related to counselors' beliefs and attitudes, knowledge of the profession's history, and professional skill set.
• Learn about the importance of belonging to a professional community and collaborating with other related helping professionals .
• Understand the basic tenets of ethical behavior.
• Integrate prior understanding with the knowledge acquired in this chapter.
• Use moral principles to conceptualize an ethical dilemma.
• Identify an ethical dilemma within the context of an ethical decision-making model.